John B. Jaeger
5/2012 – 6/2015 // Department of State – Bureau of Conflict and Stabilization Operations // Istanbul, Turkey
Primary Responsibility: As program officer for CSO's Syria team, designed and managed an eight-figure program, worked directly with Syrians and multiple USG and ally entities to help create communications networks, develop civilian leadership, inform the populace, strengthen independent voices, increase resilience, and reduce physical, digital, and psycho-social threats.
- Developed and delivered training curriculum concerning secure and strategic communications, non-violent resistance, countering violent extremism, journalism, and mass media.
- Responsible for briefing senior members of the State Department, Congress, the Intelligence Community, and White House.
- Developed best practices and recommendations for team digital security.
- Meritorious Honor Award (June 2015) - "In recognition of his outstanding performance and contributions."
- Team Meritorious Honor Award (June 2015) - "For continuing sustained operational excellence in managing CSO's Syria engagement."
- Certificate of Appreciation (March 2014) - "For strenuous and ambitious efforts to implement CSO's [program]."
- Certificate of Appreciation (January 2013)
8/2005 – 5/2012 // PEAK6 Investments, LP // Chicago, Illinois
1/2009 – 6/2012 Director of Product (OptionsHouse, LLC)
Primary Responsibility: Built a customer-centric Product Management group from scratch whose purpose was to craft a product strategy, execute that strategy in an efficient and effective manner, and ensure an optimal customer experience.
- Built a brand positioning strategy in cooperation with Chief Marketing Officer
- Hands-on design and development of key products
- Participation in the hiring of executive-level employees
- Contribution to the creation and execution of a long-term overall strategic vision for the firm
- Initial creation of dynamic, highly capable, team responsible for all aspects of product strategy
- Completely rebuilt core trading platform, awarded Best for Options Traders by Barron’s: The Dow Jones Business and Financial Weekly
- Released industry-leading mobile trading applications for all leading devices
- Helped the organization grow into one of the largest retail brokerages in the world
10/2007 – 1/2009 Director of Business Development (OptionsHouse, LLC)
- Responsible for the expansion of retail brokerage business through strategic partnerships
- Design, development and deployment of a white-label retail trading platform
- Contract negotiations with vendors, clients and partners
- Research and development of international business opportunities
- Shepherded long-term multimillion-dollar relationship with one of firm’s largest competitors
8/2005 – 4/2007 Director of Technology (PEAK6 Investments, LP)
- Led the team responsible for all aspects of day-to-day technology operations for one of the most successful equity derivatives trading firms in the world; including quality assurance, systems and networking, security, software development, and application support
- Creation and implementation of a business continuity strategy
- Creation and implementation of an information security strategy
- Design and implementation of a new data center
- Budgetary responsibility for all technology-related costs
- Oversight of market-making initiative
- Hiring of senior-level employees
- Assistance in creation of a long-term overall strategic vision for the firm
- Establishment of first quality assurance group for a multi-million line code base spanning three revision control systems, six years, and significant amounts of legacy code integral to daily operation of the firm’s highly available electronic trading systems
- Restructuring of all vendor relationships; realization of seven figures in annual cost savings
12/2000 – 8/2005 NNI // Chicago, Illinois
Chief Technical Officer
- Partner responsible for all aspects of day-to-day technology operations for a software development company; including software development, quality assurance, systems and networking, and application support
- Responsible for the architecture, design, development, and general management of a robust marketing logistics and research software solution
- Managed deployment of enterprise applications for large non-profit agencies
- Oversight of all corporate, product, and brand identity design
- Management of vendor relationships
- Negotiation of client contracts
- Training of clients
- Successful navigation through a recession without reduction in workforce
- Establishment and growth of primary revenue-driving product line for the company
9/1999 – 10/2000 BestOffer, Inc. // San Francisco, CA
Director of Operations
- Responsible for all aspects of day-to-day technical operations for a web-based service start-up; including systems and networking, security, and developer support
- Design, implementation, and management of multiple data centers
- Establishment and management of all technical vendor relationships
- Design, creation, and administration of development environments
- As the company’s second technology employee, established, expanded, and managed technology team to meet the needs of a fast-growing company
- Helped the company expand from a 12-person, 1-office operation to over two hundred full- and part-time employees in three stationary offices and over a dozen mobile offices in about a year
5/1999 – 9/1999 InstantObjects, Inc. // San Francisco, California
Director of Operations
- Responsible for all aspects of day-to-day technical operations for a data provider including systems and networking, security, and developer support
- Hands-on administration of systems, network, and database
- Management of technology vendor relationships
- Conducted complete security audit and overhaul of all systems and networks
- Achieved positive service and licensing status with all vendors
12/1998 – 5/1999 I-Mind Education Systems, Inc. // Corte Madera, California
Lead Systems Architect
- Responsible for systems architecture and implementation for a web-based educational software services provider
- Creation and implementation of information security policies
- Extensive performance tuning of Java application servers
- Database administration
- Designed and implemented all aspects of systems and network infrastructure including policies, procedures, and usage documentation
- Designed and implemented pilot server/NC network for the delivery of NT-based applications in a Solaris environment
6/1997 – 1/1998 General Electric Medical Systems // Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Lead Systems Architect
- Responsible for design, development, and implementation of an intranet/extranet solution for a division of GE Medical Systems
- Development of educational content
- Implementation of a knowledge management solution
- UNIX administration
- Helped the division achieve ISO 9000 certification largely through document control and knowledge management solutions
6/1994 - Present Various Contracts
Includes numerous contractual projects for companies of various sizes and industries. Highlights of these projects follow.
- Provided software development services for very large pharmaceutical companies through Qwest Communications International, Inc./Frontier Media Group.
- Created technology demonstrations highlighting new products used by USRobotics/3Com for industry trade shows.
- Acted as interim Director of Operations for SCORE! Educational Centers, a division of Kaplan, Inc.